Saturday, April 23, 2005

Recruiting for Culture of Death begins in Middle School

You know, my daughter (now in 9th grade) is more resilliant (within limits) than my son is. (He's now in 6th.) So I didn't really catch on until this year what was going on with the active recruitment of my children into the culture of death. I had thought, fine, if he doesn't want to go to sex-ed, and he doesn't, I'll just let him sign himself out. He doesn't give a cr*p that only a couple of boys out of 50 are not sitting in there absorbing far more information than he needs or is equipped to handle at this stage of his life. But it goes much further than that.

My daughter also liked to sign herself out of sex-ed, but what I didn't realize is that she was also signing herself out of reading assignments of books she didn't like. Too much bad language, killing, and evil child characters? No problem, she'd just ask permission to read a different book, and the teacher, knowing she wasn't just being lazy because she was indeed reading something, would just let her do it. Theresa has a way of ... persuading people. And she wasn't rejecting Harry Potter, which even I love, as the child characters there are striving to overcome evil.

With Christopher, though, I'm really getting my face in it, this active recruiting of young minds into the Culture of Death. Have any of you taken a real hard look at what is being assigned to middle school children in between all the fluffy talking animals of The Redwall Series? I'll tell you! It's Lois Lowry's (Newberry Prize winning, no less) trilogy of "The Giver", "Gathering Blue", & "The Messenger", all three whose central theme is Euthanasia as Children's Entertainment!

As I helped him type up book report after book report, multiple reports on each book -- total immersion don'tcha know -- I found myself more and more shocked at what was coming out of his mouth. Stories of societies who give shots in babies' heads, to kill those babies who have even minor birth defects, and stories of older children rescuing, hiding, and raising younger children, to save them from this fate, and how once old enough, everyone in a society must take a daily pill in order to conform, shut down their minds, (and hearts), to begin participating in this themselves. On and on and on these stories go, cruelty after cruelty, until I finally asked my son, "How DID you manage to get through reading these books?" His answer, "I just go numb to get through it."

But I'll tell you what --- he's now 2 or 3 book reports behind, and failing his class because he can't bring himself to immerse himself in this garbage anymore, and I haven't been able to bring myself to immerse myself in it either to type them for him. So to get him through it, we are going to have to spend a block of concentrated time and just plow out all three, because with his Boys Chorus singing career taking off, he can't afford any bad grades on his report card, or they'll boot him. But now that I'm on to the whole process, we can write anything we want in the book reports.... heh heh heh. And we will. He will learn how to speak up against the Culture of Death. Maybe get his own blog ;-) (Heck, his sister has one.) Chris knows I'm on his side.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home